Cement & Concrete Patio Contractors
Concrete and driveways
Concrete Network Specifics For Driveways:
- A concrete mix of 4,000 psi (pounds per square inch) .50 water to cement ratio for driveway construction. According to them, this provides better wearability “denser” concrete than the typical 2500-psi mix.
- The sub grade should be compacted and have an even thickness. A standard driveway is 4″ thick you want 4″ thick continuously, not a 3″ to 4″ varying thickness. In the west it’s even more important to pay attention to this since soils expand.
- Reinforcement with either wire mesh, or steel bars (1/2 inch rebar) placed in a grid pattern. In either case blocks should be used to keep the reinforcement in the center of the concrete.
- Joints should be at least 25% of the thickness of the concrete- so a 1″ deep joint should be used in a 4″ thick concrete driveway. Joints should also be spaced 2-3 times in feet the thickness of the concrete: so a 4″ thick driveway should have joints no farther than 8- 12 feet, and
- A simple broom finish for sufficient traction.